Heroin Detox: (800) 315-2391 Heroin Rehabilitation: (888) 565-6401 Heroin Addiction Hotline: (800) 303-2482
List of Opiate Narcotics
Opiates can be prescribed by doctors for pain patients and are also used recreationally by those looking for the euphoric high associated with them.
When taking opiates, one must be especially careful because the risk for addiction is very high. Here is a list of the main opiates you might encounter.
General Opiate Description
According to the DOI, opiates, or narcotics, are "drugs that alleviate pain, depress body functions and reactions, and when taken in large doses, cause a strong euphoric feeling." Opiates have a high addiction risk and often cause intense cravings, mood swings, depression, and painful withdrawal symptoms. They have three general types: natural, synthetic, and semi-synthetic, the natural being opiates and the synthetic and semi-synthetic being opioids.
As stated by the DOI, some of the natural opiates are:
- Opium is "extracted from the poppy plant" (DEA). It can be liquid or solid, but is usually a brown powder. Street names: Toxy, Dopium, Zero, Gee, Ope, Chinese Tobacco, Black Hash, and Aunti Emma.
- Morphine is used to treat moderate to severe pain. It is often taken in pill form or by injection. Street names: M/Big M, White Stuff, Monkey, Red Rockets, Miss Emma.
- Codeine can be used to treat pain or, in combination with other meds, to treat severe coughing (FDA). Street names: Cody/Captain Cody, T-3 (with Tylenol), Purple Drank (cough syrup with codeine).
Synthetic and Semi-Synthetic Opioids
- Heroin is "synthesized from morphine" and is a semi-synthetic opioid (NIDA). It is widely abused and produces painful withdrawal symptoms. Heroin often leads to death from withdrawal and overdose. It is usually in powder form or a black, tar-like substance. Street names: Black Tar, H, Smack, Horse, Skag, Junk.
- Meperidine, brand name Demerol, is a synthetic opioid used in childbirth to relieve pain. It can be very addictive and is usually not prescribed outside of a hospital setting. Street names: D, Dust, Juice, Dillies.
- Brand name Numorphan, oxymorphone is a semi-synthetic opioid. It is similar to morphine but is used for round-the-clock pain relief. It should not be used for one time or temporary relief. Street names: Blue Heaven, Pink Lady, Mrs. O, Blues, The O Bomb.
- Oxycodone is a semi-synthetic opioid and can be a liquid, tablet, capsule, or extended-release tablet (NLM). It is used for pain relief and is often used under the brand names Percocet, Percodan, or Oxycontin. Street names: Oxy, Roxies, Kickers, Percs, OC, Oxycottons .
- Methadone is a synthetic opioid. It is used "primarily as a detoxification and maintenance treatment of opioid addiction" (DEA). Methadone is more mild than other opioids and can be used as a long-term treatment for someone who has been severely addicted to opiates. Street names: Fizzies, Chocolate Chip Cookies, Dollies, Meth.
There are many synthetic opioids as well as semi-synthetic opioids that are made from the synthesis of natural opiates. The symptoms of opiate abuse in most of these drugs are similar, as are those of withdrawal. If you are taking opiates or opioids for pain, make sure to stay on your doctor's prescribed dosage as they can become addictive.